Inspiration

Saturday, November 13, 2010




Inspiration is a powerful piece of software that is used to help with brainstorming, organizing ideas and information and with sequencing. 

In class we discussed how this software could be used with students who have difficulty with various aspects of the writing process.  After using this software for a little while I think the majority of students would benefit from using this software. 

As I reflected on my experience working with students and my attempts to get them to use graphic organizers I wished that I had had this software available as an option.  I found my students very resistant to using paper graphic organizers for any aspect of brainstorming or organizing their written work.  If I had had this software available I think that I would have been able to get more students to use organizers as part of the writing process.

The software itself is very easy to use.  With a simple click on the screen you can enter a thought or idea then add a graphic representation, link to another idea or continue adding new ideas.  There are a number of different templates that can be used to meet different writing styles and needs.  When you are finished the document can be printed or saved as a PDF or graphic file so that it can be used later.

As I “played” around with the software I began thinking about my own needs as a writer.  I am someone who brainstorms and ideas on paper before writing but I would find it easier to be able to manipulate and move things around using a piece of software.  I have decided that I am going to use it as part of my next paper to see if it helps me feel more organized.

Inspiration software is installed on most school computers in Nova Scotia.  Depending what school board you work in you might also have take home rights to this, and other pieces of software.  Check with your school IT expert to see what you might be able to use at home!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP